Colorado Lemon Law | Attorney General - State of Colorado

Colorado Lemon Law

The Colorado Lemon Law may require a manufacturer of a new car to replace that car or to repurchase that car if a defect or condition that substantially impairs the use and market value of the car cannot be corrected.  Colorado's Lemon Law, C.R.S. 42-10-101 through 42-10-107, covers only new self- propelled vehicles, including pickups and vans, but does not cover motor homes and motorcycles. It is unclear whether Colorado’s Lemon Law applies to leased vehicles.

To qualify for relief under the Lemon Law, the vehicle must have been in for repair four or more times for the same defect; or the vehicle is out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more business days during the warranty term or one year after purchase, whichever comes first.. 

Complaint filing process for Lemon Law:

To initiate the Lemon Law process, consumers must first notify the manufacturer by certified mail of the problem after their car has met the criteria outlined in the previous paragraph. (Consult your owner's manual to find out where to write and for specific regarding your auto manufactures complaint procedures).  Consumers then can participate in an informal dispute settlement procedure if the manufacturer offers it.

If the settlement offered through the dispute settlement procedure is unsatisfactory to the consumer, he/she can file suit. The suit must be filed within six months following the expiration date of any warranty term or within one year following the date of the original delivery of a motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the earlier date.  If a manufacturer has established or participates in an informal dispute resolution procedure (for example, through the Better Business Bureau), you must pursue that remedy before you can sue.

If you suspect fraud, If you suspect fraud or wish to report suspicious activity, report it to the Colorado Attorney General. 

If you desire a legal opinion or representation relating to your specific situation, we recommend contacting a private attorney or one of the services that provide legal assistance through the local bar association and/or other legal entities.