Credit Freeze | Attorney General - State of Colorado

Credit Freeze

Colorado consumers have the option of requesting any consumer reporting agency (credit bureau) to place a security freeze on your credit report. You will be able to place a security freeze on your credit reports by making a request in writing by certified mail to each consumer reporting agency you want to place a security freeze on your file. Once a security freeze is in place, the consumer reporting agency will not be able to release your credit report, or any information contained in that report, without your prior express authorization.

A consumer reporting agency must place a security freeze on your credit report within 5 business days after receiving your written request and must send you written confirmation of the security freeze within ten business days. They must provide you with a unique personal identification number or password for you to use in providing later authorization for the release of information from your credit report.

To view information on requesting a security freeze from the three largest consumer reporting agencies, visit the following web sites:

If you want potential creditors to be able to access information on your credit report, you must request that the freeze be temporarily lifted and provide the following information:

  • Proper identification
  • The unique personal identification number and password provided by the consumer reporting agency
  • The proper information regarding the third party who is to receive the credit report or the time period that the report shall be available.

The consumer reporting agency must remove a security freeze within three business days of receiving a request for removal from you for a fee not to exceed $12.00.  Remember, your failure to timely or correctly request a temporary or permanent removal of a security freeze on your account may result in the loss or denial of credit.

Note: A security freeze placed on a consumer’s credit report will not block all access to that report, or to the information contained in that report, such as current or prospective assignee of a financial obligation and from a state or local agency, law enforcement, the courts, private collection agency, or persons acting pursuant to a court order, warrant, or subpoena authorizing the use of the credit report. 

For additional information, see also the “Creditor Fraud Center” within this site.

If you desire a legal opinion or representation relating to your specific situation, we recommend contacting a private attorney or one of the services that provide legal assistance through the local bar association and/or other legal entities.