What Can I Do To Protect Myself From Telemarketing Fraud?
Consumers can protect themselves from telemarketing fraud by:
- Be suspicious of anyone calling your home or office promising prizes and awards if you agree to participate in their promotion. Most often, those prizes don’t exist.
- Never give your credit card or bank account number to a stranger calling you on the telephone.
- Never agree to purchase products sight unseen.
- Don’t be pressured into participating by claims that “today is the last day of promotion,” or “you must act now or you will lose out.” This is usually just a ploy to get you to buy.
- Any commercial telephone seller must allow a purchaser to cancel within three days after the purchaser's receipt of the goods, services or property. You must deliver or send written notice and return any goods.